Keyword - OSX

Entries feed - Comments feed

25 August 2016

Last weeks in VideoLAN - 53

53rd VideoLAN report

During the core of the hot European summer, here is a weekly report about the last 2 weeks in the VLC and VideoLAN communities!

It was a bit calm, to be honest; and I'm a bit late to publish. Summer is the cause :)

Features

VLC

The week started by a lot of code cleanup and renaming for the Mac OS interface. We also had improvements focus on the Sierra release.

On the decoding side, we've had some improvement for hardware decoding in Direct3D11, focused on HEVC decoding.

We also had fixes for the OSX VideoToolbox decoder, notably to be able to restart the decoder when required.

A module supporting the AV1 from the Alliance for Open Media was merged too. So far, it's only a decoder, and disabled by default.

On the streaming side, the MP4 muxer timestamps were fixed. It was also backported to the 2.2.x branch.

We now have ARM64 assembly for our deinterlacer, which will be very useful for iOS, Apple TV and Android TV.

Finally, we had fixes for RTSP passwords saving in the keystore, improvements for RTSP support and the H264 packetizer, and we added support for UTF8 filenames in FTP directory listings, and support for DiscNumber and DiscTotal metadata in MP4, and DNxHR!

Android

On Android, we've mostly fixed crashes, updated translations and pushed 2.0.6 in production, on the play store.

The work is mostly done now on the new media library code, that will be merged later.

WinRT

On UWP, the focus has been on the XBox 1, and mostly on how we can upload files on the box, since we don't have access to the filesystem.

The current solution is using an HTTP webserver to upload the files from your browser, and support for USB disks.

That's all for those weeks, see you next!

3 January 2016

These weeks in VideoLAN - 31

31st VideoLAN report

After the holiday season, this is the last of the weekly reports for 2015 for VideoLAN and VLC development!

Technically, we're already in 2016, but this report will cover the last 2 weeks of 2015 and only a few days of 2016. :)

C

Features and changes

VLC

As one can expect if one has read my previous reports, we had quite a few improvements on the HTTP/2 pipeline (multiple cookies, test cases, ...) and on the HEVC/H.264 packetizers (test cases, SEI...).

When using libVLC, it's now simple to know if the titles are menus or are interactive, with the libvlc_media_player_get_full_title_descriptions call.

In the decoder core, the call decoder_AbortPictures was added, to finish our work on asynchronous decoding; notably to support flushing when doing asynchronous decoding.
Some related work on draining/flushing was also done in avcodec and mediacodec modules.

We've added a way to have tunneled-playback through mediacodec on Android for surface with punch holes. This is only for developers who work on a specific platforms and SOCs, since you must know what you are doing. :)

In the streaming output, we've added sout_MuxFlush to be able to flush, notably useful when seeking the input.

We've also got quite a few commits on the ChromeCast module, preparing the work that will come soon, to have a proper support of those devices.

On OSX, we've had a large rewrite of the messages and the information dialogs.

Finally, we've had improvements on the H.264 and HEVC demuxers, and on the adaptive streaming modules, fixes on the iOS video output, and a lot of small fixes for leaks and crashes.

iOS

On iOS, we've released VLC for iOS 2.7.0. Finally ! :)

It has brought quite many new features and improvements:

  • full iOS 9 support including split screen and iPad Pro,
  • re-written Apple Watch application for watchOS 2,
  • system-wide search for content stored locally within the app using “CoreSpotlight”,
  • Touch ID support to unlock the app,
  • full support for Right-To-Left languages,
  • support for SMB (Windows shares) file servers,
  • highly improved subtitles rendering with font fallback for non-western languages,
  • list of recently played network streams and stored login credentials are shared across devices using iCloud.

Be careful, this version requires iOS 7 to run.

We also released a version 2.7.1 to fix the important bugs we saw in 2.7.0.

Android

On Android, we've done 3 minor releases, 1.7.3, 1.7.4 and 1.7.5.
Those releases fix a lot of bugs, but also improve the Android TV version, notably on the audio player and the now-playing cards.

A large addition was added to the master branch, to support sources extensions.

A bit like on the desktop version, where we have services discovery, one might want to add new source of content, to the VLC on Android application, like ISP-specific TV channels, like Google-Drive browsing, podcasts, or social-network videos.

Those sources extensions will appear a bit later, on the Play Store. :)

We've also added support for Search inside the audio playlist and a playlist in the video view, when using a second-screen!

WinRT

On WinRT, the work was done to improve the navigation stack, and the way we move inside the application, including the hamburger menu. We've improved the MiniPlayer too.

Finally, we've done major refactoring of files and projects to be have a better file layout.

libdvdcss

As you might have seen, we've finally done a new release for libdvdcss!

Happy New Year!

So, that's all for the last weeks!

For everyone, I wish you a happy new year, and give you all my wishes of health and success!