Keyword - BSD

Entries feed - Comments feed

1 February 2016

15 years of VLC and VideoLAN

15 years!

Today marks the 15th anniversary of VLC!


Cone-Video-large.png

GPL

Technically, today is the 15th anniversary of the relicensing of all the VideoLAN software to the GPL license, as agreed by the École Centrale Paris, on February 1st, 2001.

VideoLAN_GPL.jpeg

If you've been to one of my talks, (if you haven't, you should come to one), you know that the project that became VideoLAN and VLC, is almost 5 years older than that, and was called Network 2000.

Moreover, the first commit on the VideoLAN Client project is from August 8th 1999, by Michel Kaempf had 21275 lines of code already, so the VLC software was started earlier in 1999.

However, the most important date for the birth of VLC is when it was allowed to be used outside of the school, and therefore when the project was GPL-ized: February 1st, 2001.

Facts and numbers

Since then, only on VLC, we've had around,

  • 700 contributors,
  • 70000 commits,
  • at least 2 billion downloads,
  • hundreds of millions users!

And all that, mostly with volunteers and without turning into a business!

We have now ports for Windows, GNU/Linux, BSD, OS X, iPhone and iPad, Android, Solaris, Windows Phones, BeOS, OS/2, Android TV, Apple TV, Tizen and ChromeOS.

Future

If you read this blog, you know that we're working hard on VLC 3.0, to unify most of our mobile ports, adding more GPU decoding, better adaptive streaming and ChromeCast integration.

We're still here and working for our users.

Thanks

So, for all our users supporting us, I just want to say: thank you!

Cone-Video-large.png

25 May 2015

This week in VideoLAN - 3

This week in ...

Continuing what I did the last two weeks, here is a third post summing up what happened, this past week, in the VideoLAN community and VLC development teams.

Features and changes

VLC

The week started with the continuation of the work on the VLC Windows threads implementation, by Rémi.
In a similar way, the work on blocking SIGPIPE in libVLC went on. It went on during the whole week, notably to correctly maintain support for old BSD and OS X.

We then got a complete rewrite of the Jamendo service discovery, made by a developer of the Jamendo team.

Support was added for 2 uncommon video file types, created by some QNAP recording devices.

The Android MediaCodec module was reworked, cleaned and split in order to create a new video decoder module using the NDK MediaCodec API, instead of the SDK API. This should be cleaner, and faster than the old one, because written directly in C. However, it will only work on Android 5.0 and later.

A set of patches was merged on Wednesday to rework the browsing of network directories, like SMB, FTP or UPnP. Those patches will allow better filtering, better browsing recursivity, and add this browsing capability to the Samba module of VLC.

The SMB browsing module based on libDSM was reworked too and was fixed to support Guest login detection.

The sharpen video filter should be now faster, by improving the possible auto-vectorization.

Finally the week ended with some rework on the internal variable system of VLC, removing some types, some cases, some locking and simplifying the code.

Android

This week, we released version 1.4.1 of VLC on Android to the store. This is an interesting release, containing a large amount of fixes, stabilizing version 1.4.0, that was never pushed to the store. It should now feature the new browsing view, the MediaCodec NDK module, and lots of small changes of the interface.

We added return information from the VideoPlayer activity, so that applications calling VLC with an Intent could get some result information at the end of playback, on the playback status.

The support for some content:// URI has always been broken in VLC. This was fixed :)

The Deletion dialogs were reworked and fixed, and some small bugs were fixed and translations were updated before the release.

After the release, the support for libarchive was added and a lot of code was cleaned.

iOS

After the beta from the previous week, a lot of commits were done to fix the various issues reported.

I hope that there the release is now just around the corner :)

WinRT

This week, we released version 1.4.1 of VLC on WinRT to the store. It was mostly done to fix a subtitle issue we had on some hardware, and the look of Flyouts.

Then, the week was mostly spent to port the code to the Windows 10 SDK, and restructure the project files accordingly, which took a lot many commits.

The support for DiscNumber and AlbumArtist was also added in the code, for the next release.

libvlcpp and libraries

libvlcpp finally got it's first official release, numbered 0.1.0; it should be now usable in your projects, without big issues. Please try it and report :)

libbluray, libdvdread and the other discs libraries got a few commits to fix crashes and stability issues.

The webplugins also had a few bugs fixed on the ActiveX version.

See you, next week!

Of course, I have probably forgotten some minor things, but that should be most of it!

Have fun, and see you next week!