40th report about VideoLAN reports

It's been a few weeks without reports. I'm sorry, I was traveling a bit across the Ocean, and life caught up with me, a bit too much...

And of course, the VideoLAN community has been busy during that time, so a lot happened, and catching up is even harder. So, this report is probably more summarized than usual, please excuse me for that.

Features

VLC

The weeks started by fixing the Windows green lines regressions for 2.2.3 and 3.0.0 that could happen with the Direct3D9 module but also when deinterlacing the content.

The time bar of our Qt module got fixed (some clicks could be on the wrong time, compared to the tooltip), and it got more precise for seeking.

The Jack audio output can now have fixed names for inputs and outputs. This should be easier to reuse, after a VLC restart.

The libVLC has now a libvlc_navigate_popup call to open pop-up menus with BD-J disks.

Quite a bit of fixes and improvements got into the ChromeCast module, notably to clean the code, and to make it closer to the expected behavior.
No, it's not ready yet for primetime, since it's not exposed in the interface.

The Daala module is now independent from the Ogg demuxing library.

Finally, we got a large rework of the DVB scanning code, mostly for Linux, though.

And, as usual, we merged numerous fixes and this week they were mostly on Android Mediacodec, MP4 seeking, TS regressions, MKV ALBUM metadata support, code cleanup and adding more tests to the codebase.

Android

In the last 3 weeks, we published 3 different beta versions: 1.9.5, 1.9.6 and 1.9.7 were published on the Android Store.

Those beta versions are still focusing on stability and feedback from our users.

However, 1.9.7 added support for a popup-video window, so you can float your video above every other application, like this:

Popup Video Window

At the same time, we also added support for Samsung and LG split windows.

WinRT and iOS

The other mobile ports, iOS and WinRT got each a few improvements.

On WinRT, the biggest changes were on the handling of translations, using the new translations framework. The rest were minor fixes for stability.

On iOS, numerous fixes got merged for Cloud drives support and we got 2 releases in the pipe, waiting for reviews:
2.7.4 is the next iOS release, 1.0.3, the next tvOS release.

Those builds should arrive soon in your devices.

libbluray

The libbluray project received a few improvements too.

The number of locks were reduced, the AACS integration was enhanced, and a few fixes on chapters were merged.

However, the biggest changes were in the implementation of some javax.tv. classes, that were missing, notably on the javax.tv.util namespace; but other part of this namespace were improved to support more bluray menus.

That's almost all for those weeks, see you next!