39th week of VideoLAN reports

Another week, another weekly report about VideoLAN and VLC development.

Yes, even in the winter and the cold, things are happening!

Features

VLC

The week started with more work on the Matroska (MKV) module, after the various refactoring of the previous weeks. We fixed some regressions, improved the parsing speed, but mostly fixed and improved chapters, ordered segments and edition handling.
We also had fixes for Matroska scripts commands and a lot of this work should prepare the module for seeking improvements.

We've had improvements on the Samba modules, notably to support >2GB files on Android and spaces in filenames.
Similar improvements were made for the SFTP module.

We've finally migrated to Lua 5.3, in the contribs and in the core module. We still have some rough edges to fix, though.

In a similar way, we're also preparing the transition to Qt5.6, notably for Windows.

Finally, we've fixed typoes in the x264 and Qt modules and we've introduced a --udp-timeout option for the UDP module.

Android

This week, 1.9.3 and 1.9.4 were published on the Android Store. Those 2 new betas of 2.0.0 are focused on fixing important regressions and issues.

We notably fixed:

  • video resume and playback states in various situations, including background playback,
  • notifications and control from notifications,
  • network credentials and network playback,
  • we can now set songs as ringtone from current playlist,
  • randomization for playlists,
  • we added an option to remember video playback speed,
  • we added an "Append to playlist" feature for audio media,
  • numerous crashes.

2.0.0 will come soon :)

WinRT

The WinRT port was quite active, doing some deep refactoring and changing the interface to give this:

Artists View 02_Artist_album.png

Albums View 04_Albums.png 09_Albums_dark.png

Video list 08_Videos_Dark.png

File browser 05_Files.png 13_Files_dark.png

Settings 06_Settings.png

That's all for this week, see you next!