52nd VideoLAN report

Another summer week passes by and here is a new weekly report about the VLC and VideoLAN communities!

Features

VLC

The week started with numerous additions to the Direct3D video accelerations and video outputs, to continue the support for 10bits decoding and HDR.

Related to those improvements, we added support for hardware decoding of HEVC decoding inside the TS format, by improving our HEVC packetizer.

We fixed (actually added) the support of QuickTime Videos inside MKV, aka MP4-inside-MKV; and also the support for QuickTime Audio inside MKV.

We improved again the ChromeCast support, by fixing small issues, notably when reloading and stopping the stream.

In the core, an important deadlock was killed, that was affecting Windows and Android platforms.

Finally, we also did a fix for hidden chapters in MKV, and improved the MIDI integration for Windows, and reworked a bit our contrib system.

Android

On Android, we finally fixed the support for old x86 Phones like the ZenPhone that claimed to be ARM phones. Those phones lie about their CPU with CPU_ABI, CPU_ABI AND they expose a fake /proc/cpuinfo to the applications! Thanks to a contact at ASUS, we got a phone and coded a work-around.

We also added support for saving audio-delay when using your Bluetooth headphones, so that you have a different audio-delay when using those headphones than without headphones.

Finally, we fixed a few crashes and regressions that were reported against the last release.

WinRT

On UWP, the biggest focus was on cleaning the code and on the Xbox 1 interface.

More to come soon, I hope!

libbluray

We've had a lot of small fixes for libbluray, mostly on fixing issues and crashes reported by static analyzers, but also build issues, Windows issues, and crashes reported by the users.

That's all for this summer week! See you next!