18th week of VideoLAN reports

Here is the weekly report of what has happened in the VideoLAN community and VLC development, during the past week.

Features and changes


The week started with the addition of a long-asked feature in VLC: hotkeys to increase and decrease the size of the subtitles, without going to preferences or restarting VLC.

We then had several fixes for the Bluray support and mostly BD-J menus, that should now work correctly in VLC.

The skins2 module was fixed for some windows managers like Gnome 3 and Unity that could sometimes keep the taskbar above VLC.

The big mutex that we had for Android decoders and video output was removed by Thomas, after a big fight.

Thomas also modified the core loading of decoders and packetizers: we now always packetize. This is done in preparation of the asynchronous decoding that we'd like to merge inside VLC.

François rewrote some parts of the mp4 demuxer related to seeking to improve fragmented MP4 and adaptive streaming support.

We've also had numerous fixes and improvements for the Direct3D outputs, but also for the OS X code signatures, SFTP input, libVLC playlists, Video Toolbox and subtitles handling.

Oh, and one more thing... we started to prepare VLC for tvOS. :)


This week was mostly a preparation for the next major release.

What we mostly did was fixing bugs, notably in audio playback, in cover art management, chapters display and in the bitmap cache.

We largely modified our Android Thumbnailer to fix regressions and support DVD thumbnails.

We also tweaked a bit the interface for advanced options and started to load asynchronously the images for the video list.

Finally we updated all the translations and pushed a version numbered 1.5.90 on the Play Store, in beta.


On iOS, we prepared and pushed the 2.6.5 release, fixing a couple of regressions, notably the handling of the vlc:// protocol.

The master was updated to match the latest libVLC 3.0.0 which we will base 2.7.0 on.

We also fixed a few bugs for this next version.

Finally, some code to build VLCKit for the new tvOS was merged.
It's very early though, but we have video playback! :)

tvOS simulator screenshot


Last week was a calm week, mostly on the UI side, for WinRT.

We've spent our week fixing regressions and issue in the thumbnailer, in the video output and fixing crashes.

No new feature, for once :)

That's all for this week! See you next! Have fun!