11th week of VideoLAN reports

Yet another weekly report of what's happening in the VideoLAN community and VLC development teams!

This week was quite hot, in the real world, and we're in the core of the summer; therefore this week was quite calm on all fronts :)

Features and changes

VLC

A large part of the OS X interface was rewritten by Felix, to use more modern code, notably Objective 2.0 features.
We've seen notably the usage of automatic properties synthesis, the removal of object instances in the xib files, the removal of the support of Mac OS X 10.6 and the class APIs reduction. All this should modernize the VLC OS X codebase quite a bit. :)

The port of VLC and libVLC to Tizen was started this week too. Currently, we have the core, the contrib, most modules and libVLC compiled with the Tizen SDK. More info here.

As often lately, we've seen also fixes for HLS, notably to fix a regression on Windows, where no HLS stream were working and one to correctly support AAC audio.

We've also added support for WebVTT subtitles inside MKV, fixed a few memory leaks, and a regression in the DirectShow input module.

This week was quite calm, as I said before. :)

Android

Last week, as promised, we've released VLC for Android 1.5.0, as a beta, on the store, for the testers from our communities.

We've therefore spent a lot of time fixing regressions and bugs for this release.

We've also fixed a few issues for the Android TV version: the previous weeks changes introduced some regressions, especially for the background video playback feature.

iOS

The iOS port got integration of CoreSpotlight to support global search for iOS 9.0.

We've also pushed a few fixes, as usual.

I know all this is a bit less than the usual work, but it's the summer. I hope we'll get more done next weeks... :D

That's all for this week! Have fun!