VLC on ChromeOS
ChromeOS is one of the last Operating Systems where you could not run VLC and play all your media as you wished.
Today, I'm pleased to tell you that you can use it now! DOWNLOAD!
Android Runtime on Chrome
A few months ago, the Chrome team announced the possibility to run some Android applications on Chrome OS using the new Android Runtime for Chrome. Starting from that moment, we wanted to support this runtime.
Why did we want ARC support?
VLC is mostly a native application on all platforms, using low-level APIs to output video, audio and get access to threads. VLC is using mostly
C++ and hand-crafted
ASM to get the best performance, as required for a realtime application.
Therefore the ARC solution was a , and helped us to recycle 95% of the Android code and optimizations we did in the last months (some are not released yet).
Of course, some work was required, nothing is magical, but way less than other solutions.
VLC on ChromeOS supports:
- all video files supported in VLC, including MKV and DVD ISOs,
- all audio files supported in VLC, including FLAC and other weird audio formats,
- subtitles files, from SRT to SSA and with auto-detection, when possible,
- a media database like on Android and iOS to select the right medias, and resume playback,
- playback of streams, local and on the internet, include adaptive streaming like HLS or DASH,
- we also support playlists, accelerated playback, audio equalizer, audio/video synchronization and hardware accelerated video/audio decoding.
Open Source and Free Software
We would LOVE help to improve this port! Join the community, fork the code and send patches!
The current version was tested on the 2 ChromeBooks we had access to:
- a Chromebook Pixel,
- an HP Chromebook 14.
It is possible that there are issues with other machines, and we ADVISE to use the latest Chrome 48 or the current beta version, to test VLC.
Please report the bugs, if you can!
Nota Bene: ChromeBit
Currently, the Chromebit by ASUS is untested, because it seems to be not available in France yet, and ASUS did not answer to our query to get access to one.
Any testing on this would be welcome!
Nota Bene 2: ARChon
In the same way, ARChon Runtime is currently not supported, because it was not tested at all.
Help on this is welcome too!
You can download it here!
Be careful, it's just the first release, but for now, Enjoy!